Dementia and Cognitive Disorders
This course explores the world of dementia and neuro-cognitive disorders. It describes the types of dementia, including Alzheimer’s Disease, the most common form of dementia, and how dementia is diagnosed. It provides best practices for communicating with people who have dementia, practices that are designed to maximize their dignity and sense of personhood.
This course includes the film, Alzheimer’s Disease; Inside Looking Out, where people who have been diagnosed with early stage Alzheimer’s disease talk openly about their feelings, how the they cope and how the disease has impacted their lives.
As a result of this course, you will:
- Understand the difference between treatable and progressive dementias
- Learn how dementia is diagnosed, including use of the Mini-Mental State Exam
- Understand the warning signs of dementia, and how dementia differs from normal aging
- Learn the stages of Alzheimer’s disease, including the difference between early stage and early onset
- Learn how to focus your communication on what clients retain, and not what they have lost
- Learn communication techniques that maximize client dignity as well as maximize your effectiveness
NASMM Pricing $69.00*
*To receive NASMM only pricing, promo code must be presented at checkout.
Refunds will not be given if you forget to use the promo code.
I am purchasing for: